Tuesday, October 7, 2008

TLC is Crazy


Have you ever seen this show? It's ridiculous. It's called 17 kids and Counting. Its about a family, 17 large, and they are ultra religious. I've only seen one show, and I'm hooked. On the episode last night, the eldest child got engaged. He had never been on a date with the girl he proposed to. The parents of the girl wanted her to wait until she was 20 to go on a date, allowing her to commit 20 years of devotion to God. The man proposed to her on her 20th birthday.

They aren't allowed to go out together without a chaperon, they can only hug from the side, and they can't kiss. I repeat-they are engaged and they can't kiss. They don't kiss, maintaining their purity with God, and they have that special moment of their first kiss during their wedding. All they do is hold hands, look at one another, and describe their love for each other. It's actually kinda heartwarming.

Today, I am officially a reporter. I 'broke' a story about Federal Medicaid actually helping the economy of New Mexico. Through a governmental match program, the federal government gives $2.50 to New Mexico for every $1 spent with Medicaid in this state. Thusly, Medicaid generates 3.4 billion dollars into the New Mexico economy. I don't really understand the fundamentals of this, but it's ultimately a governmental subsidies program.

KSFR received an email from an institution who funded this economic study, detailing the studies' results. I picked up the email, called the head of the institution for a phone interview, and got about 7 minutes of tape. I wrote about 10 lines of copy detailing the study, fancy introduction included, inserted 15 seconds of my phone interview and handed it over to my boss. My story, clip included, was read over the air for the 4-6 o'clock news. My boss says there is the potential that my story will be picked up by the local newspaper, The New Mexican.

It's funny that I actually created news. When I interviewed the guy, I had no idea what I was asking him, I was too nervous. But, it all worked out in the end.

Finally, I have a theory. McCain and Palin lose the election. 6 months go by, and Playboy offers Palin an insane amount of money to pose nude. She denies. Good theory?


.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

The news, the news! Nice job. Also, I know a girl who said her first kiss would be at the altar and it's totally effed.

liv said...

i want to watch that show