Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I Lie


I picked up a hitchhiker yesterday. I was coming home from the radio station, and I saw an average looking guy on the side of the road with his thumb out. I pulled over and told him I was only going 10 miles up the road. The hitchhiker said that wouldn't help, but asked if I could drive him to the next on-ramp; the one he was at doesn't not have much traffic. I complied.

He wasn't very talkative, so I lied to him. I feel bad I lied, but it just came out so easy. I asked him about hitching, and tried to get some funny stories out of him, but he had nothing to say. That's when I lied.

"You know," I said, "I have better luck hitching when I have a sign...you might have a better chance catching a ride if you had a sign that said 'Denver'".

I've never hitchhiked. I've picked up people before, and I've had my thumb out-but I've never successfully hitchhiked. I just heard from people that you have better luck hitchhiking if you have a sign. I was surprised at the ease of my lie. I think I was trying to relate to the guy; or maybe impress him, I don't know. Am I a bad person because I lied?

I started another story today-it involves illegal teen smoking.

Here is the story I compiled for yesterday. It was a slow news day, so the clip played throughout the morning. Pretty professional, huh? The newscaster stumbled because she changed the wording, her mistake's are in no way related to the shottiness of my writing. Actually, it's pretty choppy, she did a much better job in later hours.

All Me Baby

4 comments:

Louis G Frenchy said...

gas, ass, or grass, nobody rides for free.

Stephanie said...

YOu're not a bad person because you lied, because it was an entirely inconsequential lie.

Shoddiness.

C_CIHON said...

Hey Brett, this is your cousin Chris... And yes, you are a bad person for lying...

Anonymous said...

my 4th friggin attempt to post...anyway your getting closer...what i would like to hear from a writter is why did you pick upk the hiker and why did you lie or was it?...did you pick up the hiker for you? to show him something? at personal statement to the world, him yourself about this action? was it really a lie or something else? the mind analysised the situation at amasing speed and agility to produse your atatement to him...did it sense fear and lie was a way to bond and show hiker u are liek him so no harm shoud befall brethren in pursuit of free travel...did it sense that i may be perceived somewhat less if i sated that i don't hich hike but others have told me about it? was the lie a way of bonding with him in hopes of opening up for more exploration of what where and why he was going? what were the minute details of the minds analysis that lead u to action?.....now that's what i'm talkin about....ciao