Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Opus and Shameless Self Promotion






I have peaked before my time.

Last week I informed my editor that I was working on my opus. The journalistic masterpiece of my career. And I'm only 22. I'm like Keats, who did his best work shortly before he died at 24.
I spent days researching my subject: chili peppers. Genetically engineered chili peppers that will kill us all. People actually think this. I researched both the potential end of New Mexico's chili pepper industry and the conflict surrounding genetically engineered foods. The editor was so enthused with my piece, he instructed me to do a write up of my work. Does this mean I am a published author? I think so.... READ AND LISTEN TO MY ARTICLE.

Throughout my research, I formulated my own opinion on GMO products. Essentially- they are horrible. I went to a forum about GMO crops, and farmers from all over the world outlined the destruction these crops have done to both the crops themselves and on the farmers. Biotech companies have destroyed the lives of farmers, pumped our food full of unsafe products, and put patents on living things. The horror caused by genetically engineered crops is beyond belief. If New Mexico puts a GE chili into production, it will be the nail in the coffin for the chili industry.

I encourage you to formulate your own opinion about the food we eat everyday. Corn, canola, soybeans, and cotton are all genetically modified. And they aren't tested by the FDA.


Read these wikipedia entries for background on GMOs.



You like my self promotion?

In other news, some friends of mine at the radio station put together the best local music I have ever heard. I will load it on here as soon as possible.

My brother is in town. We are driving back to Olympia on Saturday.

3 comments:

Louis G Frenchy said...

you know my opinion about the food we eat everyday :
Fruit Vegetables & booze

Stephanie said...

This is why it's important to try and eat locally and know who's providing your food and how they grow it. I, for one, do not follow this advice, but maybe I will when I'm in my 30s.

eric nusbaum said...

man...that story is HOT!