Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Famous People I Saw....







On tonight's edition of the NYC blog update, I will tell you about the famous people I got a chance to gawk at. Not many people, just two. Chevy Chase and the Hebrew Hammer. Seeing famous people makes me feel famous.

First, Chevy Chase. On the first Sunday I was in NYC, Molly and I met Dan E. at a comedy club in Chelsea. I can't remember the name of the comedy club, maybe "ass cat" or some other whacky name that a bunch of theater kids thought up. The name of the club was weird, and throughout the remainder of my trip, I would call it something completely different than it actually was.

I was a little apprehensive about going to the club. I respect improv. My brother is a talented improv dude. I have seen funny improv. But most of time it's not too funny. It is entertaining, yes, but laugh out loud funny-hardly. Improv shows are usually laden with jokes that are much too slapstick for my refined sense of humor. And usually, improv shows are filled with kids who are trying to put on a little show of their own. You know what I mean? Laughing loudly, being obnoxious, trying to get attention. Filled with those kinds of people. Mean less to say, the thought of spending two hours in the club was daunting. But, Dan seems cool enough, and I trusted Molly's judgment.

It was a free show and the venue was packed to the brim with about 120 people. No one was further than 12 feet from the small stage. As the opening act began, I was surprisingly impressed with the humor. When they brought the whole cast onto the stage, the announcer said, "and we are happy to have with us a true comedy legend tonight... Chevy Chase"! I was astonished. To see a famous actor that close is quite cool. His humor was lacking, but as my mom pointed out- he doesn't have much improv training, and he was originally a writer. The whole show was better-than-average improv and I spent most of the time leering in Chevy Chase's direction.

I also saw the Hebrew Hammer- Adam Goldberg. Molly, Rachel, Andy, and I were cruising down a popular street in Brooklyn, looking for a shop that sold kittens when we passed him and a girl. Originally I didn't recognize him, and and I made a mental note of how hipster he was dressed. He held his cigarette like a girl, I thought. After we passed, Andy excitedly whispered, "that's Adam Goldberg". We all kinda stood around in shock as we were stuck at a street corner with him. I wish now I had said, "Hey, Hebrew Hammer," but it is too late.

Those are the famous people I saw while in NYC. And Andy. He is big in the NYC extra scene.

I also saw the outside of the restaurant in Seinfeld. I may have been more starstruck with that than I was with Adam Goldberg.

PS- I hate how I used the word 'saw' a bunch.

Mitch Cummstein

2 comments:

liv said...

i think blancs has a crush on the hebrew hammer. i was looking at the blog and she sat on the keyboard and somehow opened a picture of him in a separate window.

Mr. Ahhh "The Arctic Cat" said...

Yesterday Jonahs kept throwing gold glitter in the air and would dance underneath it and yell "fabulous" while it fell to the ground. Later that night he slept on my couch, my couch is now covered in gold glitter.

See what you're missing in santa fe

-Jake