Saturday, December 20, 2008

I'm an Idiot



Tomorrow I drive back to Olympia, and will leave Santa Fe for good.

I will miss Santa Fe dearly. I have made great friends, had great times, and learned great things. The opportunities I had at the radio station were unlimited, and I've learned valuable skills that will carry with me to to NYC. My editor taught me much, and I hope I've constructed a solid base of experience to work from.

I have also learned I am an idiot. A stupid idiot, who can't interact socially. Not really, but I've been blowing it the last couple of days. This may be one of those things that sounds worse than it actually is- but I still think it's bad.

Let me explain:

For some reason lately, instead of saying goodbye to people, I have been saying 'good-luck'. It is always enthusiastic and sincere; and completely out of context. For instance, I call some people up for work, people that I have never talked to before. The conversation goes perfectly fine, but at the end I sign off with 'good luck'. People hesitate with confusion, and I just hang up the phone. "Good luck". "Good luck with what?," they undoubtedly ask themselves. More likely- "that kid is an idiot".

Good luck? Doesn't it sound condescending? Yet I can't stop saying it.

The worst instance occurred when I was saying goodbye to a co-worker and a friend. Actor Dan Gerrity is the assistant news director at KSFR. He was kind enough to mentor me during my short tenure at the news station. He is also kind enough to be a reference on my resume. We had a heartfelt goodbye, shook hands for a long time, and everything was going smoothly until I paused in the doorway and said, "and good luck!"

Good luck with what? He isn't going anywhere you idiot. He was shaken up, but managed to mutter, "ohhh thanks, you too". It wasn't sincere. What does he need luck for? I'm the snot nosed brat who is going to a new city with absolutely no experience and no prospects. I'm sure he almost said, "keep your luck you fool- your going to need it".

I can kiss that reference good-bye.

2 comments:

SarahE said...

I think everyone can use some luck..... so I'm completely sure no one was offended by it. Also I'm happy you are coming home.... you better phone me so we can hang out!! Olympia will be less lonely with you home!!

Louis G Frenchy said...

Little rock tavern, you have to go there and empty few brewskys for me