Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Bomber, The Brett, and The Buzz


Sorry about the lack of posts, I'm just lazy for the internet.

My dear friend Eric Nusbaum cruised into town for the last couple of days. Craziness ensued. We spent our time together touring the city, searching through bookstores, and getting coffee. And of course, responsibly engaging in adult beverages. Very adult stuff.

Eric is a good man. In college, we always discussed some one-on-one time. We would run into each other at social gatherings, promise to hang out, exchange numbers for the 12th time, and make a pledge to call each other the next day. It never happened. Keep in mind, I made this 'hang-out' claim a lot with people I had never intended to hang out with. I would see someone at a party, and the appropriate small talk was to discuss how, 'we should really hang out'.

But this wasn't how I felt about Eric. I actually like his point of view on many things. He is much taller than I am. Yet, the ins and outs of life made sure our paths would never collide into an exclusive/non-party hang out section. And I always regretted that. I wanted to hang out with him.

These last two days we finally got the chance to hang out. We both consider ourselves pseudo-writers, and spent much of our time together discussing the writing world. He taught me about iambic pentameter. So I wrote this poem for him.
ODE TO ERIC
To write is not a plain and simple fight,
You find the path of all the truth and light.
The beat and rhyme is more than space and time,
His heart and mind in meter we can find.
I'm not sure if this works, but I think it might.

He also filled me in on the last two months of his life. He was a campaign man, scurrying around for a congressman in Chicago, trying to see how big a margin he could get his boss elected by. Eric worked hard and speaks positively of the experience.

Eric's Blog


In other news, I want to be the next Youtube sensation. Check out these videos.

I'm leaving for New York tomorrow. Two weeks in the big city-seeing if I can cut it in the big city. I'm stoked.







2 comments:

eric nusbaum said...

Iamb very impressed.

liv said...

eric, that is a great pun. also the part when you said that eric is much taller than you made me laugh out loud.