Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Links

Instead of the two rarely updated columns, "What's hot for Brett and What's not for Brett", there will be links to my favorite blogs. These are blogs I look over on a weekly basis. The single most important criteria for your blog to be listed here is this: you must update on a semi-regular basis. If March 15th is your latest blog entry, I skipped over you entirely. Also, please let me know if you want your blog linked. If you're a friend and I've forgotten you, I apologize. Or, you need to update more.

What follows is a brief explanation of the worthiness of the linked blogs.


Hi Fever: Electro-nerds and former/current DJs school you about music that is so utterly foreign and new, the genius of the beats is lost when the music enters your ears. Tunes on this site will be popular... three months from now. Either that, or the bloggers are raving about Phil Collins or some throwback 80's music. Watch out for Mr. Ahh "The Artic Cat".


The Hypnotist Collector: There is a soft part of my brain that yearns for the past. Sepia tones, spats, and acceptable alcoholism. A time when men would suppress their feelings of self loathing with a beer and a smoke. The Hypnotist Collector takes me to a bygone era.







Mollu

Mollu: Yes, the designer of Mollu is my girlfriend, but this blog stands on its own. Those of you who know nothing about architecture could learn a few things. The comforting layout and homey pictures of tea cups make for a great place to take lessons on Art Deco. If this blog were a tiny house, it would be quaint, functional, and smell fresh. Just keep updating....







Pitchers and Poets: One Mr. Eric Nusbaum has started a baseball blog. Where else can you grapple with crushing existential thoughts and discuss the merits of a day-break-day series between the Indians and Rangers?



Reve Rouge: Ernest Hemingway said in regards to writing, "first, there must be talent". I am rarely jealous of my contemporaries, but there are two friends who I secretly despise because they seem to manipulate the pen like professionals. The first is Eric. The other is Betsy, and she deserves to be read. I may not be able to make my writing palatable, yet I recognize the good stuff.



Things I Like Right Now: New York runs on fashion. Every other craigslist post in NYC is asking, "are you looking to break into the fashion world?" If you are a budding Marc Jacobs or a nerd with a fantasy about befriending Lindsay Lohan on a ski lift, showing her your soft side, hitting The Showbox for some apres-ski, and triumphantly teaching her she can love a man if she... well, this blog's for you.


You Will Soon: A favorite pastime in the skateboard world is talking shit. Some like to talk shit more than they actually like to skate. The bottom line is this: constructive criticism (shit talkin') is necessary in an industry that idolizes idiots. You Will Soon tells us no, it's not OK to parlay your skating career into producing rap music videos. Or no, it's not cool to sign on with Toyota for that pro-model car. And most of all, getting a pot-leaf face tattoo is definitely not kosher. The skate world needs checks and balances, and You Will Soon is providing.


That does it. A list of links. Again, let me know if you want your blog linked.

Blogs I wish would update more: Calyer Palace, Zach's blog, Liv's blog.

2 comments:

liv said...

http://idontunderstandhumanbeings.blogspot.com/

The Hypnotist Collector said...

Seriously more updates on the Mollu please. Also, what about bloggy, the forsaken blog of happiness? Thanks for linking me!