Thursday, April 30, 2009

Again?


Yep, I shaved my head again. If you're broke, it's truly the only way to cut your hair. I tried to take a current picture, but my camera's battery is totally depleted.

My friend compared walking the streets of Midtown to, "walking through a dense canyon in the wild". I'm sure that exact metaphor has been said thousands of times before, but I have never heard it. I even nodded in agreement and said, "that's some cool shit man, I like that." My encouragement caught him off guard and he followed his initial statement with, "it truly is a concrete jungle out there," while smugly gazing up at the buildings. Why did you have to go and kill it, Richard?

I have worked this job for three weeks now. I feel my life wasting away in front of an Excel spreadsheet. I'm too exhausted to do anything constructive when I come home, so I pass out watching YouTube. I wonder what it's like to be 45, three kids deep, and working a job you started only in the meantime. You know, "I will take this job in the meantime, before I find the career I want," kind of job? Kissing your stinkbreath kids goodbye in the morning so you can go wait in traffic, radio tuned to the station that plays "all the hits you grew up with".

Is it infinitely more unbearable to be 45 years old and still temping? Announcing, "I'm trying to write a novel/do art/play music, and I took this temp job to pay the bills". Which is worse? Frankly, those are the only two options. I see no other paths.

Whatever. YouTube will always be around to drown out the sound of your kid's cries. Jake showed me the best comedy show I have watched in quite some time. It's called Peep Show. Blows Larry Sanders out of the water. I was wrong when I claimed Larry Sanders was the best show ever. That was just a low, unemployed part in my life, where I deluded myself into thinking I was part of Larry's gang. I laid sprawled out on my rented couch, watching back-to-back episodes of Larry Sanders, trying to choke back tears spurred by my impending financial doom. But now I have a temp job and I watch Peep Show. Everything is right with this world.

No comments: