Sunday, March 8, 2009

Larry Sanders

I have discovered genius. The perfect television show. The Larry Sanders Show is a 90's sitcom that ran on HBO. It's the full package. It has the societal observations of a Seinfeld, the running-jokes of Arrested Development, and the subtle wit of old Simpsons episodes. Throw in a dash of Curb and a pinch of The Critic and you have The Larry Sanders Show.

The show is about a fictional late-night talk show host and his crew. Garry Shandler, some mid-level comedian who I had never heard about before this show, plays Larry- the neurotic host. Rip Torn, better known for his role in M.I.B, is Larry's confident producer. Jefferey Tamber, the dad on Arrested Development, plays Hank Kingsley. Hank is Larry's Ed McMahon; the couch sidekick. He is insecure and slow on the uptake. Janeane Garofalo and Jeremy Pivin round out the cast.

I have noticed that most of the funny television shows of the year 2000+ era have copied at least one aspect from this show. I would argue that the two funniest shows on television right now are 30 Rock and The Office. Not like I have my finger on the pulse of contemporary television comedy, but everyone, including me, likes these two shows. They both borrow heavily from The Larry Sanders Show.

I can't say more about it. You just have to watch the show. This is one of those shows that if you don't like it, I think you are stupid. No hard feelings or anything, but you are stupid. It's like you idiots who think Friends is funnier than Seinfeld or who tell me, "I don't notice a difference between the old Simpsons and new Simpsons". Yeah, you don't notice the difference because you're stupid. Just like you're stupid if you don't like The Larry Sanders Show.

All the episodes are free on youtube. Start with the first one and make your way through the whole series. Trust me, it's worth it.

"It's part of the process of a divorce. They serve you papers, you hit on your secretary. It's a tale as old as time".




On an utterly different topic, Jake and I have started writing a script for a pilot. Our show heavily borrows from Larry Sanders. Here is the hook:

A group of writers struggle with the absurdities and personalities surrounding them while writing the reality show, Destination: Space.

No comments: