Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Weight Loss


In the past three weeks I have lost 10 pounds. No girlies, it's not that fashionable Atkins diet that everyone is talking about, it's my own brand of dieting. I like to call it, "The Tortured-Jobless Journalist's Guide to Loosing Weight in NYC". Here is what you do:

Breakfast- A bagel with cream cheese or a slice of pizza. All depends on how you want to indulge.

Lunch- Nothing. Only two meals a day.

Dinner- As many bowls of homemade soup or noodles as you can possibly eat. * **
* Substitute twice a week with beer.
** Substitute once a week with a lavish meal that you can definitely not afford. This sends you into a panic
about the dwindling status of your bank account, causing you to spend even less money on food.

Exercise- Walk upwards of 5 miles each day. Tour the Brooklyn, take unnecessary trips Uptown, visit Times Square for the 3rd time.

Yeah so- that's my diet. I think I will start eating better once I get my own place. It's hard to keep food in the house here. I don't want to make a mess in the kitchen or take up valuable shelf room in the pantry. I will also feel more comfortable eating once I get a job. Speaking of which, I will begin to chronicle my job and apartment hunt on this blog. I will also chronicle the job hunt of two of my friends:

Eric N--He is my friend from school who moved to NYC two days ago. A solid guy. He wants to be a writer of some kind. Don't we all....

Jake F-- He is my friend from North Carolina. He still has a job at this point, but believes he is getting laid off by the end of this week. It's the economy, stupid.

Starting tomorrow I will post a status report for all three of us. Potential leads, interviews, firings, etc. Find out how we all are handling the ever-drying tit of the NYC job scene.

7 comments:

Jack B. said...

What exactly are you looking for? I might be able to hit up my contacts in NYC (people in the media sector I've done business with) and around that area to see if they have anything.

-Jack

betsyboo said...

laid off.

Brett said...

Attention to detail is one of my strengths-- according to my cover letter.

liv said...

you're gross

also, the wonky word i have to type to prove im not a computer is "combrett"

Unknown said...

That sounds strikingly similar to my diet. Bowl of cereal, burrito for dinner, and a ton of shit from Plaid Pantry. And here I am trying to race bikes. I'll probably end up sending my body into shock instead.

Louis G Frenchy said...

Dude i've seen that movie, the machinist, not so long ago and it scared the shit out of me. I liked it though

Corey said...

Ironically, it turns out that eating less may actually help you live longer. See: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/08/01/health/main517257.shtml

and

this vid
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4752354n

happy birthday.