Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Birthday Tomorrow


Long time no chat, folks.

Sorry I lied about the frequent updates on job status. I was PLANNING to post every day, turning my own blog into some sort of mini blog about how its going searching for a job. But then Eric and I spent two solid days cruising all of Brooklyn for an apartment to live in. I didn't have much time to search for a job. There was just nothing to report.

Eric and I didn't find an apartment. Well we each did- but separately. He got a cool temporary job that came with an apartment. I managed to rent an extra room at my friend's place. It worked out. Let me fill you in on the status of our job hunts:

Eric- He found a job within a week. It's not his ideal job, but he likes it anyway. He is working for a political campaign up in Queens. The campaign is to support some candidate for a special election of a city council member. He is working in a Latino-heavy district up near Shea Stadium. It's only a three-week gig, but it is really intensive. He works about 12 hours a day. I'm sure he is getting a dose of big city politics. Hopefully he will make good connections so we can get a midday table at Patsy's Restaurant in no time. Patsy's is where the stars eat their Italian food.

Jake- Jake is still hanging onto his job working for a party-manager by a thread. He is working two days this week. He is randomly applying for other jobs, such as someone who buffs and varnishes wood furniture. I think it’s funny because he has a major in marketing. He said he studied marketing so he could get a job out of college. I always hated those kids in school who talked about how there major was going to skyrocket them into a cushy position. I’m a history major, damn it. And look at me- unemployed and living with my girlfriend. I’m at the top of my game. Jake eats beans and rice on a daily basis. Jake is a mellow guy, so he doesn't seem too concerned.

Me- I have a tiny lead for a cool job. I don't want to tell you the job, out of superstition of me scaring the job away. I'm like a fisherman. I can see some huge fish checking out my bait, deciding whether it will strike the line or not. One wrong move will scare that fish right off.

In other news: its my b-day tomorrow. What you get me?